Consistently Ranked as One of Safest Large Cities in the Nation
San Jose, California’s downtown core is a vibrant destination for dining, retail, nightlife, and entertainment. Primarily catering to the 21- to 25-year old demographic, venues attract crowds that surpass 12,000 people.
Learn how the city implemented a variety of initiatives to improve public safety, alleviate police budgets and enhance nighttime vibrancy.
- Reduced Policing Costs: San Jose reoriented its policing model to alleviate a safety budget of $1 million.
- New Policing Model: The city introduced roving foot and bike patrols to significantly reduce crime, assaults, and gang presence, as well as increase civility among patrons.
- Public/Private Partnerships: Key to the city’s success is collaboration between the Downtown Association, City Council, businesses, and police. Learn how the city sustains this partnership.
- Live Music on the Streets: “Left Coast Live”, an annual, all-ages music festival showcasing national and local acts in the streets of downtown San Jose, has reinvigorated the live music scene downtown.
- Silent Disco: Learn how events such as Left Coast Live incorporate noise reduction strategies via music played through wireless headsets.
- Urban Market Offers Unique Retail: In the spirit of Seattle’s Pike Place Market, the San Pedro Square Market features farm fresh vegetables and art showcases amidst daily entertainment, and outdoor dining.
- Sidewalk Cafés & Alcohol Service: Sidewalk cafes can operate during an entertainment business’s hours of operation or up until 2:00 a.m. Find out how alcohol service is addressed and how quality of life is maintained.